Saturday, April 4, 2009

Pennies from Mahalaxmi


Some readers saw via Facebook yesterday this photo I posted of the Kolhapur Mahalaxmi. Since the chain letter from India told me to, and since she is the Hindu goddess of wealth, I felt it couldn't hurt to go ahead and share the benevolence, just in case. And in little ways, a few pennies have come my way since.

Last night I went to the B Scene event at the 
Blanton Museum of Art. This exhibit by Cildo Meireles is one of the most striking for me at the museum. It's called Mission (How to Build Cathedrals), and its made up of 600,000 coins, 800 communion wafers, 2000 cattle bones, 80 paving stones, and black cloth. Here is the description, from the Blanton:

"This evocative installation critiques the Jesuit missions established in colonial times to convert the indigenous Tupi-Guarani people to Catholicism. Meireles has built a contemporary "cathedral" to expose the social and political forces behind these missions. The column of communion wafters shows religion's role in linking the creation of wealth (the coins on the ground) to agricultural exploitation (the suspended cattle bones), suggesting that the conquest of the Americas was as much about economics as it was about religion or saving souls." 
It's a gorgeous installation, a carpet in copper.

Leaving the parking garage of the museum to head downtown gave me my next small blessings of wealth -- the toll booth was open (free parking on the UT campus? unheard of!), and following a recount of my cash this morning I realized valet boy gave me change for a $20 rather than a $10. 

I made $4. Thank you Mahalaxmi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment